a. The excitement of the mind or emotions to a high level of feeling or activity: a singer who found her inspiration in popular songs of the 1920s.
b. The condition of being so excited: sat down to write in a sudden burst of inspiration.
c. The quality of being so excited, as manifested in something: a painting full of inspiration.
2. A person or thing that moves the intellect or emotions or prompts action or invention: Gandhi has been an inspiration to political reformers for decades.
3. Something, such as a sudden creative act or idea, that is inspired: had an inspiration and saw a way to solve the problem.
4. Divine guidance or influence exerted directly on a human mind or soul.
5. The act of drawing in, especially the inhalation of air into the lungs.
What is it to feel inspired?
A sharp intake of breath. Your heart begins to beat a little faster. Eyes sparkle with interest and potential. Your spine straightens, and your shoulders pull back. You lean in as the inspiration gains momentum.
That feeling of inspiration can bring life, adventure and fun to your world. We hear the stories of people who found it, hanging on every word of how they attained this coveted feeling.
Inspiration is your key to experiencing more!
How do we find inspiration?
Be open and aware – With our head down as we scurry from one chore to the next we are missing opportunities everywhere. Slow down and notice what is going on around you. Be on the lookout for anything that may spark your interest.
Learn – Read, talk and watch anything or anyone that captures your attention. Talk to other’s (then talk some more) and actively source more information. Go out of your way to discover new details. Research your interest.
Invest time – you will always be busy and there will never be a good time, so make time now. Don’t miss this opportunity to find something or someone amazing to inspire your world.
Don’t wait for inspiration to fall into your lap. Seek it out now. Once you open your mind to the possibilities around you the inspiration will come.
Inspiration for what you may ask. Who knows!
It could be for a new career, a new adventure, a new outfit, a new way of communicating, a new way of doing, a new way of decorating, a new hobby, a new business, a new cause, a new exercise, a new process, a new invention, a new sport, a new…….
There is no one particular place to find inspiration. We can all find it in so many different places, people and things. A spark of inspiration can find you anywhere.
Potential Sources of Inspiration
1. Your People – those wonderful people around you are full of stories and thoughts that can provide you with endless ideas. Talk about everything, but most importantly listen to everything.
2. Travel – a favourite source. Soak up the smells, flavours, people and surrounds. Feel the unknown tantalise your senses. Adventure can be the ultimate inspiration.
3. Read – your imagination can be roused with evocative and thought-provoking literature. Lose yourself to the words and discover. Immerse yourself in the stories of others and learn from their journeys.
4. Explore & Notice – that familiar daily journey can deliver inspiration if you actively open your eyes and seek the changes.
5. Watch – talks, tv, news, documentaries, videos on any topic that snags your fancy.
6. Relax – if you rush around stressed and dramatic you will struggle to feel inspired. Relax and enjoy your journey to discovery. Don’t wait for it, just be prepared for when the inspiration arrives.
7. Listen – music can help you to concentrate and centre. Certain lyrics can be a great source of inspiration if you emotionally connect with the words at a point in time.
8. Visualise – when a potential idea strikes sit quietly and allow yourself to picture the potential. See the idea as a whole and probe if this is an idea that can give you that inspired response.
9. Keep an Inspiration/Ideas Journal – Not only a great way to record your ideas but a constant reminder to keep looking for them.
10. Challenge Yourself – you are worthy of adventure success and satisfaction. Though it can be easy to settle, you are more than capable to do anything you put your mind too.
Inspirational Words to get you thinking.
That’s precisely the question everyone should be asking—why the hell not? – Why not you, why not now…”
– Timothy Ferriss
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
– Mark Twain
Always keep your eyes open. Keep watching. Because whatever you see can inspire you.
– Grace Coddington
There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way.
– Thich Nhat Hanh
Slow your pace down; begin to see the potential around you.
Use all your senses to gain every little bit if knowledge and magical inspiration you can.
What are you going to do?