You have dreams to bring to life, goals to kick and essentially, it’s time to get sh#t done. The only thing is your current office space is an inspirational dead zone. Here are our top ways to create a space that will get those creative successful juices flowing fast.
1. Clean up – The most obvious first step is a clean and tidy. Put items away or even better discard the unnecessary in the name of Kondo (no spark, no keep). Give all surfaces a good wipe down and bask in the shine. Feeling that you have room to move and function will naturally see your productivity soar.
2. Organise – Take a little time to put your drawers shelf and desk space in order. Use desk caddies, extra shelving systems and pin boards. Install additional storage units to hold all your necessary items. Cute organisational office products are readily available to suit any budget.
3. Curate your space – Stylize and put your personal flair on your work area. Colour scheme and furniture placement are essential elements in creating your inspired space. If you have a window with a view think how to best position and feature. Consider colours that inspire you or promote feelings of creativity or focused calm. Feng Shui principles could also be applied to further enhance the flow of your room
4. Feature Green – The benefits of having plants within a work space is well proven including:
Aesthetics – Plants soften and brighten a space at the same time. With so many indoor varieties you can choose a plant and pot to enhance your space.
Comfort – Plants add moisture to the air, which helps increase humidity levels and lower the temperature.
Stress Relief – For some people, plants in the workplace help reduce stress. The natural look of the plants provides a comfortable, relaxing touch to a work space. When a person is less stressed, she is more creative and productive.
Health – Plants improve the quality of the air within an office, which is a potential health benefit. The natural process of photosynthesis absorbs carbon dioxide while releasing oxygen into the air. Plants also absorb pollutants and provide clean air
5. Visible Inspiration – Keep your reasons why where you can see them. If you have a photo of a goal, a manifesto or object that inspires you then this needs to have prime position. See our Inspired Life Print. Mood Boards are great to have multiple inspiring touch points.
6. Lighting is Key – If you can, get as much natural light as possible into your workspace by placing your desk by a window. This is great for airflow as work spaces tend to get stuffy because of the heat computers and equipment radiates. If this isn’t an option, go for simple functional lighting and make sure your space has two lights. A minimalist desk lamp that lights your immediate workspace is a good choice, then a smaller lamp that illuminates the rest of the room. It’s much better than using the harsh overhead lights which always cast the wrong type of shadow.
7. Chair & Ergonomics – Yes it’s the boring stuff but by taking it into consideration your body will thank you after an plus 8hr work session.
Nail the basics with these ergonomic must do’s:
Position your screen slightly below eye level.
Adjust your chair height so that your forearms and wrists are about desktop height when your elbows are at 90 degrees.
Use a footrest if your feet dangle.
Make sure your body, monitor, and keyboard form a straight line. (make sure you don’t have to turn your head to read your screen)
For the least stress on the eyes, place your monitor 45 to 60 cm (18 to 24 inches) away from your eyes, or further if there’s room. (If necessary, enlarge your screen text size to compensate.)
Invest in a brilliant (and stylish) chair and save yourself on chiropractor fees down the track.
8. Have an Inspiration Library – Stock your shelf with author’s that inspire and resource books that will aid your work goals. Treat yourself to a bookshop spending spree and plan to read a few pages or chapters before you knuckle down to work.
9. Tech done right – Make sure all your devices are up to scratch. A slow computer, dodgy printer or frustrating scanner will only hold you back. Don’t waste your time and see professional advice to garner a tech savvy workspace that suits your needs. Pay that little extra service fee and have it all installed and set up for you
10. Sound System with a killer Play List Or Soundproof – Music can enhance or distract in a working situation. Personal choice but a worthy consideration in your work space.
If you have any further ideas to create an incredible workspace we would love to hear them, please share in the comments below.